From cultural events, celebrations and movie nights to music activities in libraries, music is an essential tool for those tasked with making towns and cities great places to live.

Alongside sustainability and engagement, good governance extends to covering off legal responsibilities when using music. OneMusic offer simple annual licences that grant councils the permission they need to use our music, while supporting the people that make the music that help our towns and cities hum.

Through the combined repertoire of APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, OneMusic are able to offer licences that cover the use of essentially all commercially released available from here and around the world. For a simple per-resident rate, your council can be covered for the use of music at a wide range of community events and venues, including community halls, libraries, parks, pools and recreation centres.

Contact us on 0800 800 663 or email to discuss the licensing requirements for your council.


Why do councils need a music licence?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music outside of a domestic setting (a 'public performance') is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs, use digital music services, or host live performers or DJs. Your OneMusic licence gives you permission to play essentially all commercially released music from here and around the world.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. Many music creators around the world earn an income by granting organisations, like ours, the right to collect and pay their royalties.

OneMusic simplifies the licensing process and allows music users to meet their copyright obligations to play our music in their business.

Where does the money go?

When you hear about music royalties, that’s what we do.

Your OneMusic licence fee is distributed by APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who are the companies behind OneMusic. Each organisation has a commitment to their music creators and their own distribution policies.

Every month over 330 million lines of music data is analysed from digital music services, background music suppliers, radio stations, television stations, live performers and more. Live performances are directly distributed to music creators using set lists provided to us by musicians who have performed at venues.

After minimal administration costs all money collected is paid to our local and international music creators – songwriters, composers, publishers, recording artists and record labels.

Find out more from APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ.

Who can verify that I need a OneMusic licence?

Click here to find out more about why you need a licence and the authenticity of our rights from other industry and government bodies and New Zealand associations.


Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.