Sporting Codes

Sporting events are at the heart of our communities, bringing us together like no other activity can.

As a part of staging events that excite fans and keep them coming back, sporting codes and organisations often choose to use music as a part of their events. Live performers, music as the players take the field or court, music when players score. Music is a powerful tool that can be used to unify and build loyalty with fans.

Click 'Apply Now' to view licence fees, download, save and complete your application. Return to

The OneMusic Sporting Code Licence provides a level playing field for all codes and all fields of sport. A simple fee paid per attendee grants you permission for live and recorded music, before, during and after the sporting event. Once you have a licence in place you will have the legal permission you need to use our music from here and around the world, and support the people that make and own the music you enjoy in your business.


Why do I need a music licence?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music outside of a domestic setting is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs, use digital music services, or host live performances. Your OneMusic licence gives you permission to play essentially all commercially released music from here and around the world.

I have paid for the music I play, so why do I need a licence?

Simply buying music does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private/domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music. 

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a digital music service - why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business you need the permission to do so. Additional permission is also needed when you download, copy, or use a digital music service in your business.

Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. Many music creators around the world earn an income by granting organisations, like ours, the right to collect and pay their royalties.

OneMusic simplifies the licensing process and allows music users to meet their copyright obligations to play our music in their business.

Where does the money go?

When you hear about music royalties, that’s what we do. Licence fees are distributed to songwriters, composers, publishers, recording artists and record labels, by APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who are the companies behind OneMusic. Click here to find out more.

Who can verify that I need a OneMusic licence?

Click here to find out more about why you need a licence and the authenticity of our rights from other industry and government bodies and New Zealand associations.

What licences do I need for one-off sporting events?

It’s important to note that the OneMusic Sporting Code licence is designed to cover music used by sporting codes across the year, and does not cover one-off events.

In this case, an application should be made for an APRA Sporting Event licence. In addition, if sound recordings are used, a Recorded Music NZ Sporting Event Agreement is required.


Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.