Hair + Beauty

The music you choose for your salon is important - it helps clients feel relaxed, and can be a powerful voice that reinforces the unique character of your salon.

A OneMusic music licence gives you the permission you need to harness the magic of music in your salon. When you hold a OneMusic licence you are supporting the people that make the music you love, while covering off your legal obligations when playing music in a business setting.

Download our Licence Guide for more information.

Retail & General Licence 

0 - 49m2 $313.38
50 - 99m2 $376.07
100 - 149m2 $451.27
150 - 499m2 $576.61
$300.85 per annum
  • Music Dubbing is an additional fee and covers copying, downloading, or using a digital music service (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube) to play in your business. Learn more here.
  • If you play exclusively radio in your salon, the background music fee is 50% of the Background Music rates listed above. Radio includes local and national radio stations (for example The Hits, The Breeze and George FM), however does not include internet radio stations or streaming services.
  • Premises area is the area where music is played that is accessible to the public (not including staff or stock rooms), and is measured in square metres.
  • Rates include GST and are valid from 1 October 2019 - 30 September 2020. Rates increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on 1 October each year.

Get more from the music in your business. OneMusic has created PRESTO! a free e-book digging into how music drives customers to spend more and spend longer your business. Click here to start making the most of music.

Why does my salon need a music licence?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music in your business is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs, use digital music services, or have live performers play in your business. A OneMusic licence grants you the legal permission you need to use virtually all music from anywhere in the world.

I have paid for the music I play, so why do I need a licence?

Simply buying music does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private / domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a music digital music service - why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business setting you need the permission to do so. Additional permission is also needed when you download, copy, or use a digital music service in your business.

Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. OneMusic licenses businesses that use music on behalf of APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who return the licence fees collected to music creators – songwriters, composers, music publishers, recording artists and record labels – as royalties.

Both are member organisations, which means that after administration costs all money collected is returned to music creators.

Where does the money go?

We keep track of what New Zealanders are listening to - we collect data from music streaming services, background music suppliers, radio stations, television stations, music recognition software and live performers.

Each month we analyse over 330 million lines of data to direct the licence fees you pay as accurately as possible.

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. After administration costs, all money is distributed to their local and international members as royalties.

Find out more from APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ.

Who can verify that I need a OneMusic licence?

You can find out more about why you need a licence and the authenticity of our rights from New Zealand associations and other industry and government bodies.

Citizens Advice     



Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.