Music encourages people to train harder in the gym, provides the soundtrack for classes, and helps to reinforce the unique character of your brand.

Click 'Apply Now' to view licence fees, download, save and complete your application. Return to info@onemusicnz.com.

The OneMusic licence grants you the legal permission you need to use essentially all commercially released music available quickly, easily and cost-effectively. Once you have a licence in place you will have the legal permission you need to use our music from here and around the world, and support the people that make and own the music you and your members enjoy.


OneMusic is an official partner of Exercise New Zealand - an organisation that provides advice, education and advocacy on behalf of its members. They also advise on compliance issues, including music licensing requirements. Visit the Exercise New Zealand website for more information.

Get more from the music in your business. OneMusic has created PRESTO! a free e-book digging into how music drives customers to spend more and spend longer your business. Click here to start making the most of music.

Why does my business need a music licence?

Under the Copyright Act (1994), having permission from music creators to use their music in your business is a legal requirement. This permission is required regardless of how you play music – whether you play the radio, CDs, use digital music services, or have live performers play in your business. Your OneMusic licence gives you permission to play essentially all commercially released music from here and around the world.

I have paid for the music I play, so why do I need a licence?

Simply buying music does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private/domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. The Copyright Act also outlines the penalties for anyone in breach of the Act. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a digital music service - why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business you need the permission to do so. Additional permission is also needed when you download, copy, or use a digital music service in your business.

Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. Many music creators around the world earn an income by granting organisations, like ours, the right to collect and pay their royalties.

OneMusic simplifies the licensing process and allows music users to meet their copyright obligations to play our music in their business.

Where does the money go?

When you hear about music royalties, that’s what we do. Licence fees are distributed to songwriters, composers, publishers, recording artists and record labels, by APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who are the companies behind OneMusic. Click here to find out more.

Who can verify that I need a OneMusic licence?

Click here to find out more about why you need a licence and the authenticity of our rights from other industry and government bodies and New Zealand associations.

An independent trainer or REPs registered trainer conducts classes at my exercise facility, who needs to hold the group fitness class licence?

The person or business that authorises the public performance of music is responsible for holding the OneMusic licence. While you may have independent trainers come and conduct classes, it is the exercise facility that is obliged to hold the OneMusic licence for the public performance of the music performed.

REPs Registered Professionals receive a OneMusic licence when working independently of an exercise facility and operating 4 or fewer personal training sessions per week (using music). Training sessions would also include boot camps, exercising in a park, training groups at the beach etc. Read more about REPs membership here


Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 - we're here to help.