From perfecting form in class to end of year performances, music is there every step of the way.

Given the central role that music plays in dance, it's important that dance schools get the permissions they need to use music. OneMusic gives you the permission you need to use our music, while helping to ensure that music creators are compensated for the use of their work.

There are four types of music licences for dance, covering the different ways that dance schools use music.
Download our Licence Guide for more information.

Dance Instruction Licence

The OneMusic Dance Instruction Licence grants dance schools permission to play music as a part of dance classes.

Number of Classes Offered per Week Annual Fee
1 - 5 $188.02
6 - 20 $438.72
21 - 40 $626.77
41+ $814.78
  • A class includes one-on-one and group dance tuition, where payment is made for instruction.
  • A separate event licence is required when music is used in a recital or end of year performance.
  • Rates include GST, and apply to the period 1 October 2020 – 30 September 2021. Rates increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on 1 October each year.

Copying Music & Digital Music Services

If you copy or supply music to students for practice, create playlists, curate music, or use a digital music service (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube), in your classes, the OneMusic Dubbing Licence applies. Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Music Dubbing Fee
$300.85 per annum

Concerts & Dramatic Context Licences

Concert and Dramatic Context licences grant dance schools permission to play music as a part of end of year (or similar) concerts or theatrical performances. Licences for concerts and theatrical performances are administered through APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music New Zealand.

For more information visit: 



Filming Performances

When you record performances you require permission to copy or reproduce the music included in the recording. This is different to the public performance of music, which the Dance Instruction, Concerts and Dramatic Context licences cover. The Domestic Use Video licence covers you for filming performances that include music, and making the recordings available to students, their friends and family for free or at cost. For more information or to apply for a licence to film performances visit the Domestic Use Video page. 

Why does my dance school need a music licence?

Using music in a business, commercial environment, or any other public setting is considered a 'public performance' under the Copyright Act (1994), and owners of music copyrights are entitled to be asked their permission and to charge a fee for the use of their work.

Any use of this music by a business or organisation requires the permission of music creators to use their music. A OneMusic licence grants businesses the legal permission they need to use virtually all music from anywhere in the world.

I use music provided with a dance syllabus - do I still need a licence?

In most cases the music included with dance syllabi requires a licence. There are however a few exceptions to this, please contact us if you are unsure whether the music you use requires a public performance licence.

Is holding a licence to play music a legal requirement?

Yes it is - the Copyright Act (1994) clearly establishes public performance rights, protecting the rights of music creators. You can access the Copyright Act (1994) here.

I use a music digital music service - why do I need a Music Dubbing licence?

When you play music in a business setting you need the permission to do so. Additional permission is also needed when you download, copy, or use a digital music service in your business.

Learn more about Music Dubbing here.

Who is OneMusic?

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. OneMusic licenses businesses that use music on behalf of APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ, who return the licence fees collected to music creators – songwriters, composers, music publishers, recording artists and record labels – as royalties.

Both are member organisations, which means that after administration costs all money collected is returned to music creators as royalties. 

Where does the money go?

We keep track of what New Zealanders are listening to - we collect data from music streaming services, background music suppliers, radio stations, television stations, music recognition software and live performers.

Each month we analyse over 330 million lines of data to direct the licence fees you pay as accurately as possible.

Licence fees for Concerts and Dramatic Context performances are are distributed using data from set lists provided to us from dance schools.

OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ. After administration costs, all money is distributed to their local and international members as royalties.

Find out more from APRA AMCOS and Recorded Music NZ.


Want to know more? Read the full FAQs here, or call us on 0800 800 663 – we’re here to help